Cookies are one of my favorite desserts, especially when they have dark chocolate in them. Having food allergies can make it difficult to have desserts and other recipes I grew up on. Luckily, I love experimenting in the kitchen and coming up with healthy, delicious recipes. These Gluten Free Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are a winner!
One of my favorite cookie recipes is our Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes. I knew that recipe could be altered a bit to add delicious coconut and oats. Thus this recipe was born.
Instead of using grass fed gelatin as a binder, I used a chia seed egg. If you have never used a chia seed egg, they’re amazing and so simple. All you do is take 1 Tablespoon of ground chia seed and mix it with 3 Tablespoons of water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to thicken up, and voila! You have an egg replacement. Perfect in so many recipes! You could even use ground flax seed instead of the chia seed.
Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- High in vitamins & minerals (like calcium, potassium, and magnesium)
- High in antioxidants
- Helps improve digestive health as they’re high in fiber
- Improves heart health by reducing inflammation, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure
- They are high in protein
Our Gluten Free Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are Allergy Friendly:
- gluten free / grain free
- egg free
- nut free
For more information on chia seeds, you can check out these resources:
- 9 Chia Seed Benefits and How to Eat Them
- 11 Proven Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Benefits of Chia Seeds
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 1 cup gluten free instant oats
- 3/4 cup gluten free baking flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil melted
- 1 chia seed egg (Mix 1 Tbs. ground chia seed with 3 Tbs. water - let sit for about 5 min.)
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl mix together the oats, gf flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the coconut oil, chia egg, vanilla, milk and sugar. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture.
- Fold in the shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
- Use a 1 Tbs. measuring spoon to scoop and drop the cookies on to a silicon baking mat or greased baking sheet. Smoosh down the cookies a bit after you place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked through.